Tuesday, June 28, 2011

ISTE11 Day Two Recap

Wow, what a world-wind of a day.  Here goes the not so brief - brief summary:

I. Started early with a very informative session on using TPACK.  Judi Harris summarized the theories eloquently.  She shared her professional development website where many more resources are available, http://www.etpd.wm.edu. It is so true that teachers need a combined approach including Technological Knowledge, Pedagogy and Curriculum Content.

This session sparked an idea for engaging students during the "down time" involved with reaching their desktop.  The time between hitting enter and the computer being ready for use can lose many students of the fast paced digital generation.  I plan to redirect that focus for a quick review or introduction to a topic in a low tech but engaging manner.  Then we can move on to the higher tech skills and yet cover many aspects we otherwise would not be able to waiting for technology to catch-up to us.

II. Next, we visited the vendor floor in the Exhibit Hall for awhile.  Amazing how quickly the time goes.  Luckily there will be more time for that tomorrow.  In dialogue with a vendor, who had a unique method of offering prizes to potential #ISTE11 participants, I realized the idea could be extrapolated in an inexpensive yet engaging way to share a Technology idea or concept with teachers and/or a curriculum integration idea.  Thus increasing their learning borrowing the TPACK model.

III. We then branched off in different directions.  One of my favorite things about the ISTE Conference is that there is a little something for everyone.  My second session was on the ISTE Learning Community, http://istelearning.org/.  ISTE has launched a collaborative collegiate space for professional development aligned to the NETS.  Some areas are free, yay! Some require a reasonable fee.  There is The Commons, offering free resources to help you build your PLN.  There is Coaching Center, offering free resources for those that help provide development to others.  There are Learning Labs, offering self directed 6hour learning experiences on a single topic with a reflective subscription service. There will be The Cafe, offering collaboration with educators from around the world over current edtech topics.  The final result will be an educational artifact which will then be hosted in the Commons for others to utilize.  There will be ISTE U, offering a more traditional approach with faculty led instruction in an online environment.

I look forward to exploring these resources and hopefully implementing a few with teachers in my district.

Phew... I needed a break.  So it was a stop over in the Social Butterfly Lounge.  Power Up devices.  Power Down Neene lol ;) I ran into several DEN friends and other colleagues along the way.  I was overjoyed to see an administrator from the high school that I attended.  Nice to briefly reconnect with @plnaugle, @teryl_magee, @yoyosciteach, @Lparisi, and two former teachers from our school district.

IV. After a break over note-taking, phone charging, lunching, and tweeting, it was time to learn some more.  My next stop was the SIGML: Mobile Learning Tutorial.  This was hosted by Elliott Soloway, Cathie Norris, and Helen Crompton.  They displayed a great resource that is in the works, http://sigml.iste.wikispaces.net/Databases.  How did they share this? With a QR code to a tinyurl.  Isn't that a bit redundant.  Will text speak for "the" become "t" soon? But the concept was great.  Why type a long website's url when you can snap a "picture" of a graphic symbol and be teleported directly to the link.


They discussed the "Dawning of the Age of Mobilism".  It is true.  Sharing messages and information sure has come a long way from the days of the Pony Express and the Telegraph.  The panel challenged us, "You are mobilists.  Go forth and mobilize!" Love that! I believe I will...

While sitting in the session I tweeted out "Ready for ISTE session with SIGML".  A DEN friend tweeted a reply "@neene I wanted 2 b in the SIGML #ISTE11".  I was able to tweet back "@nsharoff taking notes will blog them tonight".   Delivered as promised, Nancy!

Instead of swapping like tools for like i.e. computers for newer computers, explore newer and better ideas i.e. itouch/ipad2/droid/etc. Some examples of mobile tools were given including:

  • Google Earth
  • Google Sky
  • Star Walk
  • Podcasts using Audacity
  • Polleverywhere
As this was a SIG ML event we were then challenged to share a tool of our own.

Lee Bond, @leebond1 from Australia shared:
http://poissonrouge.com

I missed the next woman's name but she shared an idea for including booktrailer urls in QR codes inside the jackets of library books.  Great idea!

Renee Henderson, @msreneescience (fellow DEN member... yay, Renee!) shared:
Renee recorded video tutorials for students reminding them the steps in labs. Now they have a great resource to refer to whenever they forget a step.

Claude shared:
Sonicpics, http://www.sonicpics.com for apple

Chris Smith shared:
Evernote for Android, Blackberry and more which syncs notes to the cloud with multimedia resources embedded

Mark Young shared:
That he uses the record feature on his phone to have students self record them dictating their written work.  Playback offers a way to listen to their own fluency and self-evaluate.  He has also recorded samples of fluency errors to help students compare.  Great idea, Mark!

Scott Nucome, @Snewco shared:
His resource http://smriders.net/Mobile_Learning.  He has compiled many tools on using mobile learning into one location and made it public.  Thanks so much!

Tinashe Blancet shared:
http://mrsblanchet.net/home/, where she has posted a moodle forum Tech Tuesdays@Ehret.  An interesting site to visit.

Carrie Jeffrey shared:
For All Rubrics (I believe this was an app.)

Abigail Johnson shared:
Logo Draw for the ipad, a throwback to the Logo programming days with an update for the iPad

James shared:
That he has students create a video introduction using photos with voice over.  Simple and effective - terrific!

I shared:
Google Apps for Education offers a safe secure location for students to connect in a mobile format.  And these Google Tools are available on most mobile devices. I merely placed my card with my QR Code for my blog and discussed.  I knew others were waiting to discuss their suggested Mobile Learning apps and the session was drawing to a close.  But I promised to post the image that I discussed and contact information here on my blog this evening in PDF.  Your files go with you where-ever you go.

Someone shared:
http://www.iear.org/, offering app review for educational applications

That was just amazing.  All those resources made available in an hour!  Thanks everyone.

V. Breaktime.  Meetup with colleagues from my school district that were also attending #ISTE11.  Thank you to the Young Educators Network and the other sponsors that provided refreshments at this Treatup.

VI. Oh, the ISTE day didn't end there.  I attended a session on Free Mobile Participation Tools.  It was nice to see them suggest Google Moderator.  I learned of this tool last summer from Whitney Milhoulides, Discovery Education.  It allows you to host threaded discussions in Google.  Did I mention this will be available in our Google Cloud behind the safety of our login? The resources from this session are available at http://freeparticipation.oetbx.org.

I was beginning to get winded by this part of the day.  Did I mention the session began at 4:15?


VII. I took a breather on a bench while I waited for my colleague to finish the session she was attending.  I began chatting with the woman on the other side of the bench.  As I looked down I noticed her name tag, Elizabeth Beagle.  Seriously, did I read that correctly? On the ISTE Ning Elizabeth and I had begun a connection regarding e-portolios.  We had agreed to meetup somewhere along the way and talk among ourselves.  How ironic to wind up sitting next to each other randomly! My mother always quoted St. Thomas Aquinas' "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." If you are interested in viewing Elizabeth's work you can find her at http://elizabethbeagle.com/.  Thanks for a great conversation.

VIII.  A vendor from whom we utilize several products hosted a great evening of dinner and conversation.  Love networking with people we know that help bring us the tools to facilitate student learning.

And now I am off to bed to rest-up before we do it all again tomorrow...


1 comment:

  1. Phew! Just reading the post was overwhelming! Thanks for posting all the info. Can you believe that I am JUST now catching up on my ISTE info? Where has the summer gone? Someone on Twitter (sorry, don't remember who) gave the analogy of summer to the weekend. June is like Friday night, July is Saturday, and August is Sunday. Well, it's August and I am gearing up for going back to school. I better carve out some time to go through all my summer links to see which ones I can implement right away.

    Thanks again for your super notetaking! You're *AWESOME*!!!

    ReplyDelete