Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Poem in Your Pocket Day

One of the fabulous teachers at our school brought an idea for celebrating Poetry Month to our administration. Thankfully the school principal agreed. Through the month of April students have been exploring poems. What a great way to look at language. Tomorrow, April 24th is Poem in Your Pocket Day. I hear the idea is to stop people and see if they have a poem in their pocket. If they do encourage them to share what they have. Being an Instructional Technology Facilitator, I figured I would Google for a computer poem. There are many. There weren't any that won me over. Certainly not something I am ready to carry in my pocket all day. But if a student stopped me and asked if I had a poem what would I say. I'd hate to see their face fall. That isn't what I want. No, not at all. So what was I to do...
Draft something myself...

"My Digital Day" by Mrs. Shields

My day begins each morning with an alarm clock to stop.
Then reach for my phone on the kitchen counter-top.
If there is time, the blue coffee light begins to blink.
Soon too my brain begins to think.
Out the door I dash, still a bit blurry.
Car alarm I push in a hurry.

Gratitude for traffic lights that keep me in one piece.
I start my day at work very early to enjoy a little peace.

Scan my security door clicker.
Convenient to let me in quicker.
Boot up my computer.
There's email to read.
“Please, no major problems today,” I plead.

Help teachers find new resources on the net.
Oh, here is one your students will love - I bet!
Research, explore, through so much to scroll.
Use the right words and I'm on quite a roll.

Chosen words of the right kind
to just right websites I will find.
Pick a few gems to share
with teachers that care.
It's a joy showing them what I have found.
From teacher to teacher it will pass around.
Time to show students so we have a common ground.

Hopefully I have found the pick of the crop.
Oh the magic that is found within my laptop!

I'd still love to find a better poem about technology for students. Maybe something about Google or the Internet. I put out a call to my personal learning network on Twitter. If you know of one, I'd love to see what you have to share. Hope you have a very happy Poem in Your Pocket Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment