Saturday, January 4, 2014

How Sweet It Is!

As part of the Self-Initiated Blog Challenge, started by Kelly Hines, we were challenged to share a favorite book for reading or teaching. I don't really have a favorite. There are several that I love. But I wanted to share a new tool that I found. Are you aware of the ingeniousness behind these books by Jerry Pallotta and Rob Bolster? They have found a way to make math instruction both engaging and tangible. I so wish I had this in school. For Digital Learning Day on February 5, 2014, I will be celebrating with my teachers. I have chosen a Chocolate theme - “Digital Learning – How Sweet It Is!” In my research looking for ideas both decorative and instructional, I came across this book. The title is The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar Fractions Book. What a great idea! I always struggled with understanding math concepts in school. But this creates such a wonderful visual to work with for teachers and students alike. There is also an additional and a subtraction book. I am so happy that I discovered these in advance. Come pay day, these are definitely on my list. My goal this year is to share more "valuable content". I think this definitely falls under that category. Hope you think so as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Hershey's Fraction book. It's definitely one in my classroom collection! I think the theme you chose will definitely be a popular one. Maybe the folks at the DEPD training in Hershey could lend a few ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be using this book during my fraction unit with my fourth graders. Who doesn't love a lesson that involves chocolate?

    ReplyDelete